Idioms & Phrases 30 | Hamaraguru
291. Tall talk (boasting) - One of my friends Rajesh is famous for his tall talks.
292. The Fourth Estate (the press) - Today the fourth estate can influence the court proceedings of any case.
293. The knock-down price (very low price) - I bought everything at the mega sale at knock-down prices.
294. Sheet anchor (a person or thing to be relied upon in an emergency) - His uncle proved to be his sheet anchor after his father’s death.
295. Thick-skinned person (not easily offended, insensitive) - He is such a thick-skinned person that he laughed when people cursed and abused him.
296. Think lightly (not to be serious about a thing) - Don’t think of your married life lightly.
297. Throw light on (to make something easier to understand) – I wanted to throw light on the pitiful life of the bar dancers.
298. Throw mud at (try to make a low opinion of someone by saying unpleasant things about him) - Companies should think carefully before slinging mud at someone who may respond with a libel action costing it crores of rupees.
299. A tool in the hands of (under the authority of another) – The whole legal system has become a tool in the hands of the politicians.
300. Turn one’s coat (to change one’s party) - Some people are so ambitious that they often turn their coat.